Integrate Consul with Armory Spinnaker
Questions about Integrations?
Spinnaker Integration with Consul
Consul is a service mesh solution providing a full featured control plane with service discovery, configuration, and segmentation functionality. Its integration with Spinnaker gives your applications seamless interactions in Spinnaker’s UI to easily identify healthy and unhealthy nodes. You can also use Spinnaker to update Consul’s KV stores and process feature flag changes through your deployment pipeline process.
How the Integration Works:
- Service Discovery: Spinnaker can use Consul to discover other services, similar to the use of DNS. A more advanced use case would be traffic shaping.
- Health Checking: While rolling out a new deployment, Consul can be used to help Spinnaker understand the viability of hosts. Health status can also be used to determine rollback recommendations post deploy.
- KV Store: Consul’s hierarchical key/value store is very flexible and can integrate with Spinnaker in many ways. Ranging from dynamic configuration, feature flagging, coordination, leader election, and more. Stages within Spinnaker can be used to interact with modifying the KV store systematically. That means during a deployment pipeline feature flags could be flipped, new masters selected, backend databases can be swapped, etc.
- Secure Service Communication: The workflow and orchestration power of Spinnaker can be combined with Consul’s ability to generate and distribute TLS certificates. This combination can be used to deliver extremely complex certificate distributions spanning many environments.
- Multi Datacenter: Consul supports multiple datacenters out of the box, much like Spinnaker does. Running the entire stack in a highly available manner does not require any additional abstractions.
Automate Software Delivery
Today, most engineering organizations manage their application deployments, K/V store updates and service discovery using different tools, or in the worst case, manually. Spinnaker provides a single pane of glass to manage all of your software delivery in a repeatable and automated process.
Reducing Architecture Complexity
By combining client and service side service discovery with Spinnaker and Consul it reduces your overall service discovery footprint reducing engineering overhead and mean-time-to-resolution (MTTR) when errors occur
Ship Faster With Confidence
Spinnaker provides safety and reliability out of the box. Using Spinnaker’s sophisticated deployment methodologies to all of your software delivery gives you the extra confidence you need to deploy faster.