Here’s how Armory’s enterprise distribution of Spinnaker compares to the open source version:
Provisions open-source Spinnaker instances within Customer’s Virtual Private Clouds (VPCs) with the following characteristics:
- Spinnaker infrastructure is deployed into multiple availability zones providing redundancy and failover protection.
- Multi-region configurations are also available to provide additional levels of global redundancy.
|Install from source
- Note: Spinnaker is comprised of multiple sub-services which must be installed from source.
- For Kubernetes there is a 1.0 installer (in beta for GCP; does not exist for installing on AWS or other environments)
- Monitoring: Intelligently monitors health and availability of Spinnaker sub-services as well as other integrated resources to facilitate graceful restarts if failure occurs.
- Release Management: Enables zero-downtime upgrades to latest, stable & fully integration tested Armory Spinnaker versions.
- Audit Portal: Provides a queryable interface to perform AMI ancestry audits, with a visual parent/child dependency tree output.
- Usage Statistics: Provides a dashboard with granular usage statistics. Usage data can also be sent to DataDog.
- Release management via apt-get update.
- No built-in monitoring.
- Logging: Seamless integration with popular Centralized Logging solutions such as Splunk, Sumo Logic, ELK Stack, etc.
- Spinnaker Configuration Management: A version-controlled configuration enabling reproducible deployments of Armory Spinnaker (aka Spinnaker deploys Spinnaker). Also enables pain-free rollbacks to previous configurations.
- Automated Canaries: Custom stage built into Spinnaker UI to enable kickoff of automated canaries in deployment pipeline.
- Intelligent Rollbacks: Deployments automatically rolled back based on signals from DataDog or ElasticSearch (with more integrations coming)
- Canaries must be run manually
- M-F 9am-5pm PT support via customer portal ticketing system, email or phone
- Tickets responded to by next business day
- Best effort bug fixes to the open source Spinnaker project
- Access to unlimited remote training documentation & video resources
- Support by asking open source community for help
- Armory Service Level Agreement: 99.95% Uptime: Armory provides a pro-rated discount for Spinnaker downtime beyond 21.56 minutes per month
- On-Demand access to a Solutions Architect up to 24 hours per month.
- At least 1 on-site training session per month
- Armory prioritizes customer’s needs in product roadmap timeline planning.
- Armory guides customer team(s) on building features important to customer which can then be open sourced (This helps prevent forked versions of Spinnaker.)
- Armory guides customer team(s) on building proprietary features that extend Armory Spinnaker for customer’s non-OSS needs.
What Stage are You In? Read our Stages of Software Delivery Evolution Infographic to understand which software delivery stage your company currently falls into.
How Companies Go Digital: We highly recommend O’Reilly’s free PDF e-Book about migrating toward cloud-native technologies and practices by shifting from monolithic onsite architectures to applications designed solely to operate on cloud computing platforms.